Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Grotto

I'm glad that I have the chance to visit amazing places in Portland; thanks to the spring break. It is rainy but I'm decided to go. I checked the google map to find out where it is located and how I should get there. Bus number 12 to Sandy Boulevard is the only bus goes there. It took near half an hour to get there. I looked around my desk to find some changes for the bus, only $2. I made a small sandwich. I also took a bottle of water and put them with my camera and a tripod into my back pack. As light as possible: just something to eat, drink and taking photos. It was 12:30 that I left my place.

Welcome to "The Grotto", a place of solitude, peace and prayer. It was interesting that I visited a Judaism-related place, the Holocaust Memorial, yesterday and a Christianity-related place today. It must be a wonderful visit.

A very white Christ cross was the first thing I saw when I entered the site of the Grotto. It reminded me my red covered bible with its golden edge papers. It also reminded me all the 'Nikos Kazantzakis' books that I've read specially The Greek Passion which is my favorite book.

Carrying the cross? Oh, I used to have small cross, made of Armenian balck stone, hangs on the rear-view mirror of my car. I bought it from the Vank church in Esfahan, Iran, when I visited there in 2004.

A grotto was hewn from the base of the 110-foot basalt cliff where an alter was constructed, above which was placed a full-sized replica of Michelangelo's Pieta. This became the sanctuary for an outdoor church where Sunday Mass has been celebrated during summer months ever since.

Michelangelo's Pieta

Meditation Chapel

The Marilyn Moyer Meditation Chapel's north wall is constructed entirely of glass, offering an unobstructed panoramic view of the Cascade Mountain Range. The Chapel is dedicated to motherhood.

Okay I have to go. Papa is coming to pick me and some other international students up to go to the coast! Hoooooooooray! I haven't been to the Oregon coast yet. See you.

2 comments:

Dina said...

Nice to hear the enthusiasm in your blogging voice during spring break. Glad you can visit such different places.

Ann said...

What a lovely, peaceful spot. Glad you are enjoying your break and getting the chance to look around a bit.